Physiotherapy is prescribed to maximize your strength and range of motion to help maximize the possibility of a successful outcome.
You have had an orthopaedic surgical consult, and you have been told that you need surgery. The surgeon and medical team will have given you some information about how to prepare for your surgery.
When it comes to pre-surgery pre-operative physiotherapy, there are benefits that will manifest post-surgery. Physiotherapy is prescribed to maximize your strength and range of motion to help maximize the possibility of a successful outcome and help you prepare for your operation.
When guided by a registered professional physiotherapist, the pre-surgery pre-operative physiotherapy plan is tailored to your individual needs based on a comprehensive assessment with your goals and your surgeon’s needs in mind.
Examples of pre-surgery pre-operative physiotherapy goals:
- Restore range of motion to optimize post-surgery outcomes
- Maximize strength
- Maintain fitness for surgery and after surgery
- Learn the post-op rehabilitation process
- Maximize proprioception and control
- Learn exercise technique for proper benefit
- Establish some routine
The physiotherapist may do all or some of the following:
- Institute manual therapy to restore biomechanics and joint movement as available pre-surgery
- Institute swelling management for pre-surgery and discuss post-surgery options
- Monitor your progress with ongoing assessments
- Test pre-surgical function to determine phases of recovery post-surgery
At East Gwillimbury Physiotherapy, we are here to help to prepare for your operation and have a successful preparatory plan before your surgery. We serve Newmarket, Ontario and surrounding areas.